In one of the most anticipated games of the college football season, the No. 6 Ohio State Buckeyes defeated the No. 9 Notre Dame Fighting Irish 17-14 on Saturday night in South Bend, Indiana.
The game was a defensive slugfest for the most part, with both teams struggling to move the ball consistently. The Buckeyes took a 10-7 lead into halftime on a field goal by Noah Ruggles and a touchdown pass from Kyle McCord to Emeka Egbuka.
The Irish tied the game at 14-14 early in the fourth quarter on a touchdown pass from Tyler Buchner to Michael Mayer. The Buckeyes responded with a field goal by Ruggles to take a 17-14 lead with just over two minutes remaining in the game.
Notre Dame had a chance to drive for a game-winning touchdown, but the Buckeye defense made a big stop on fourth down to seal the victory.
McCord finished the game with 225 passing yards and a touchdown for Ohio State. Egbuka led the Buckeyes in receiving with 105 yards and a touchdown.
Buchner threw for 213 yards and a touchdown for Notre Dame. Mayer led the Irish in receiving with 86 yards and a touchdown.
The Buckeyes improve to 4-0 with the win, while the Irish fall to 3-1.
The Ohio State defense was the difference in this game. The Buckeyes held Notre Dame to just 308 total yards and forced two turnovers. Ohio State also had six sacks and 10 tackles for loss.
The Notre Dame defense was also solid, but the Irish offense couldn’t get going consistently. The Irish averaged just 4.3 yards per play and struggled to run the ball.
- Ohio State is a legitimate contender for the national championship. The Buckeyes have a balanced offense and a dominant defense.
- Notre Dame is still a good team, but they need to find a way to get their offense going. The Irish have a lot of talent on offense, but they haven’t been able to put it all together so far.
- This game was a great example of why college football is so popular. It was a close, competitive game between two of the most storied programs in the sport.
Ohio State vs Notre Dame: Buckeyes Win in Thrilling FinishIn a highly anticipated top-10 matchup, the Ohio State Buckeyes defeated the Notre Dame Fighting Irish 17-14 in a thrilling finish on September 23, 2023. Here are the highlights and reactions from the game:
- Ohio State scored the game-winning touchdown with just one second remaining on a one-yard run by quarterback Jack Miller2.
- The Buckeyes’ defense played a key role in the victory, holding the Fighting Irish to just 14 points and forcing two turnovers4.
- Notre Dame quarterback Tyler Buchner threw for 221 yards and one touchdown, but also had two interceptions1.
- Ohio State quarterback Jack Miller threw for 182 yards and one touchdown, and also rushed for the game-winning score2.
- The game was a defensive battle, with both teams struggling to move the ball consistently. Ohio State finished with 315 total yards, while Notre Dame had 304 yards4.
- The victory was Ohio State’s sixth straight over Notre Dame, dating back to 19955.
- Ohio State improved to 4-0 on the season, while Notre Dame fell to 3-11.
Overall, the game was a thrilling matchup between two of college football’s most storied programs. Ohio State’s victory was a statement win, solidifying their position as one of the top teams in the country. Notre Dame will look to bounce back from the loss and continue their strong start to the season.